Many people seem to shoot down the idea of tanning, saying that it is bad for you and can cause skin cancer. However, sunlight is the base of life. Here’s why it can be good for your health:
1. It cheers you up. Sunshine boosts serotonin levels, the body’s “happy hormone,” which is why we tend to feel happier and more energetic when the sun shines.
2. It reduces heart disease. A study in the British Medical Journal showed that people are more likely to die in the winter than in the summer from heart disease due to lack of vitamin D or UV light.
3. It relieves aches and pains. Being out in the sun or tanning can actually ease up stiffness and cause warmth in the body’s muscles.
4. It helps skin conditions. Have you ever noticed that after you go tanning or are exposed to sunlight that your acne seems to clear up? Sun exposure can help heal skin conditions such as acne, eczema and psoriasis.
5. It reduces risks of cancers. Although it can increase risk of skin cancer, tanning has been proven to significantly reduce the risk of other types of cancers due to vital amounts of vitamin D provided by the sun.